Sunday, August 19, 2012

112's Q Talks About Forgotten Bad Boy Classics: 'Cheat On You,' 'Miss You,' & 'Jealous Guys'


(Q Parker of 112 tells the backstory behind a couple Bad Boy Classics)

The late 90s will forever be my favorite time in hip-hop. I know there was better music made before and after but the jiggy-commerical-thug era was so magical and cheesy, haha. How could you not love it? Undeniably, Bad Boy ran that time period. BIG, Puff, Mase, 112, Black Rob and the L.O.X. all had classic first albums in my book. Ma$e's first LP, Harlemworld, in particular was one of my favorites. It had the chart toppers but also forgotten classics like 'Playa Way' (feat. 8-Ball & MJG), 'Cheat On You' (feat. Lil Cease & Jay-Z), and 'Jealous Guys' (feat. Puff Daddy). During a recent interview which was definitely more of a candid convo with Q Parker of 112, I had the chance to get the back stories to a few of these forgotten Bad Boy classics.

'Jealous Guys'
Puffy was always obsessed with New Edition and pushed 112 to try and capture some of their swag. This lead to the New Edition sampled, hilarious last song from Ma$e's Harlemworld. Q says he was really trying to show them how to get down like Bobby Brown and the boys.

'Cheat On You' (feat. Lil Cease & Jay-Z)
This was recorded at Jermaine Dupri's crib. At the the time the cool thing to do was bringing chicks they were bagging to the studio. Eventually, this lead to the Bad Boy guys swapping girls without even realizing it. The scandalous studio session/orgy fests the Bad Boys had inspired this song.

'Miss You' (Notorious BIG feat. 112)
Q talks about how they had a unique writing process that lead them to write the hook with each member taking a line. This was actually produced by KG of Naughty By Nature. Biggie wanted to rock over a Diana Ross classic and always wanted to sample classics from his childhood.

Listen to 'Cheat On You,' 'Miss You,' and 'Jealous Guys'
Check out some classic Bad Boy photos'
all after the jump'


Ma$e feat. 112, Jay-Z and Lil Cease 'Cheat On You'

Standout lyrics:
Mommy screamin' pappi can I skate wit you
They wanna ride wit me, stay fly wit me
Wanna help me get rid of my rivalries
Wanna be the ebony to my ivory
But I'm straight though, thanks ma, I only chase dough
We can lay for tonight but in the mornin'
I get Shirley Murdock, I hope your door slam lock, I'm gone -Jay-Z


The Notorious BIG feat. 112 'Miss You'

standout lyrics:
I remember sellin three bricks of straight flour
Got my man a beat down to the third power
He didn't care, spent the money in a half hour
Got some fishscale, ain't no competition that could sour
Got the coke cooked up, a crackhead heaven
In eighty-eight, when Kane ruled, with Half Steppin
A thirty-eight, a lot of mouth, was our only weapon
We was king till the G's crept in
And now I'm missin em

Fed up, my nigga want to take it down south
Sick of cops comin, sick of throwin jacks in his mouth
Gave him half my paper, told 'em go that route
Few months, he got his brain blown out
Now I'm stressed
His baby's mother, she trippin, blamin me
And his older brothers, understand, the game it be
Kinda topsy turvy
You win some, you lose some
Damn, they lost a brother
They mother lost a son
Fuck, why my nigga couldn't stay in NY?
I'm a thug, but I swear for three days I cried
I look in the sky and ask God why
Can't look his baby girls in the eye
Damn I miss you


YOU KNOW THE LYRICS! HAHA!



0 comments:

Post a Comment